Tonight a storm moved in just at sunset creating the most beautiful curtain of pink in the sky. Meanwhile, commercial fishermen were unloading their catch. Itching to see lobsters Jenny & I went to investigate. Turns out the lobsters they were unloading were, in fact, sea cucumbers.
For the uninitiated, I give you an except from my tome in progress: Nasty Things I Have Encountered:
- Sea cucumbers live on the bottom of the ocean.
- Fishermen in Maine drag the bottom to turn catch them.
- They have a suction-tentacle-foot-thing on one end.
- They can be long and flacid or contract to a grapefruit-sized lump.
- They can throw-up themselves (turning inside out).
- They stink.
- They are nasty.
- To the initiated, they apparently belong on a menu. These *beauties* are headed for the Asian market. I hesitate to include this in the food category.
Be warned. Clicking the thumbnails on a full stomach is not advised.