Taking stock in Iqaluit

July 30th, 2008 by Randy Jones

Editor’s Note: We got an email from Mom and later, an email from Dad giving the latest news. Below are their respective thoughts as they take stock in Iqaluit. Be sure to check back to previous posts as they are now replete with photos of bears and burgs!


The weather has been the pits; wind out of the SE, rain, cold to the bone AND ice floating all around the boat. We have been fending off the ice for the most part and get bumped occasionally. They are mostly growlers mixed with some bergy bits. They move with the wind right into the harbor and also affected by tidal currents. Locals say that it hasn’t been this bad for 10 years. So much for global warming!

Things are expensive here. For example w/o the watermaker we’ll need water soon. Many of the houses are served municipal water by truck. Great! Except the minimum charge is $200. We need about 130 gallons. It’s not Perrier either. So Pat went to the store where you can buy 7 gallons in a container for $27. Our new friend Joe is loaning us containers and we hope to get 30 or 40 gallons tomorrow.

Parts will arrive Friday so we are stuck for a while. We have been working on cleaning up the mess created by the salt water dousing in the engine room when the water maker broke. Much is fixed, but the main engine still hasn’t run. We think the problem is the starter motor itself, but it could be batteries also. I hope nothing else is wrong.

PS. Parts are arriving tonight. Hurrah!


We got a hotel room to get internet access and shower as our water is low and the only way to get water on board is to carry out gerry cans which cost $27.00 each empty. We are managing pretty well though the stress has been high. Walt and Shane worked analysis work on the motor, solenoid, and alternator problems all day yesterday while Pat and Skip fended off the ice. The ice bergs go in and out with the tide which is second only to the Bay of Fundy. If they surround us they can crush us and the under pieces can destroy the instruments on the bottom of the boat. So we do shifts day and night as they pass us by.

Walt just called me at the hotel sounding excited. Yesterday a man named Luc was sent to us by the Lord. He is a mechanic at the airport and works on their snow blowers which use the same diesel engines as we have. (This airport has 8000 feet of run way and is an alternate Nasa Shuttle landing site. Movie stars stop here in their private jets to refuel all the time). With Luc’s help, they hope to resolve the engine troubles. Walt and Shane were going back to the boat in the Olive to get started.

We will be looking at the state of the boat and the ice reports this weekend and making the decision about turning back. All of us were scared as we passed through the “water” that was 90% covered with ice on our way into Frobisher Bay on the get home engine. Pat was in the crows nest on the intercom directing Walt right and left as we went because from the main salon we couldn’t see a way to go. We have been afraid to use up minutes on the sat phone because it is our main means of communication with the locals. We looked into getting a local cell for a week and it was $250 so we are using the sat phone. This rented hotel room gives us a way to communicate more easily. We are all fine and in good spirits; seeing God provide and see us through in very tangible ways. But, we are asking if He is telling us to stop as we face SO many obstacles. The team will decide. All of us have voiced the thoughts of turning back.

9 Responses to “Taking stock in Iqaluit”

  1. Marcie Bowerman Says:

    Please come home. 🙂 MarcieB.

  2. Paula Leong Says:

    We’ll keep all of you in prayer as you evaluate your situation this week and decide to come back or continue. After reading the last few entries I was beginning to wonder myself if it would be wise to continue with so many problems popping up. I know such a thought has to be very disappointing but I know your safety and well being are more important than anything else.
    Stay warm and God Bless,

  3. Michael Pounds Says:

    Be safe and wise about “moving on”!What does the Coast Guard say about continuing?

    Miss ya.

  4. Mary Coustier Says:

    Hi Kip & crew,
    Thank you for sharing this adventure with us. It has been wonderful to see this part of God’s world with puffins, polar bears and icebergs. Our family will be praying for your safety and for God’s wisdom and strength as you may decisions about your travel.
    Mary Coustier

  5. Julie Stephenson Says:


    I just wanted to know I am enjoying reading your adventure. It looks like a challenge. I have been praying for you all. It has been fun to hear about all the nice people you meet along the way. Stay encouraged.


  6. Rebekah Says:

    You all are so brave and adventurous! …Just the way seafarers should be.

  7. Bill Mullen Says:

    To: Captain Adventurer and His Adventurettes
    I was in a private jet that flew into the airport at Frobisher Bay – interesting place!
    The Starbucks Thursday AM gathering occurred – Walt, you are sorely missed. On a selfish note, we would love to have back as soon as possible. Your journey to this point is an incredible ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ experience. We continue to pray for your safety but most of all for your discernment about travel.

  8. Marcie Bowerman Says:

    I’m sure you must know, but the solar eclipse is tomorrow and you should be able to see it! MarcieB.

  9. Denise Hadley Says:

    Be encouraged! I’m praying for you and I’m enjoying hearing about your adventures. If anybody can make it, you guys can. I trust you will do whatever God tells you to do and that either way He will continue to protect you.

    Love U all bunches!

Leave a Reply

I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go — Genesis 28:15