Author Archive

Webeck Harbour, Labrador

Sunday, July 20th, 2008

Tonight I got to talk to Mom and Dad on their satellite phone. When I saw a caller-id with 12 digits, I thought that it might be them. It took a few seconds for the connection to get established, and then I was talking with Mom, as if she was just around the corner! They are now in a place called Webeck Harbour, in Labrador, Canada, which is just past a peninsula of land called Cape Harrison.

This morning they headed out at 4:45 am, leaving early to try to make a very long run. The seas built up until they were “terrible”, about 8-10 feet straight on the nose. Eventually, they decided to pull in and wait out the storm while anchored in a place called Fulton Harbor. They all had a good nap, and took showers to pass the day. Apparently Skip and Shane took showers out on the back deck (they air temperature was 48 degrees!). She didn’t say why they chose to do this — it would take more than a dare, or a desire to test out the deck shower to convince me to shower in the cold outside!

They left Fulton Harbor at 5 pm after the storm had passed, with enough sunlight left in the day to allow them to still make about 60 miles. They passed 5 more icebergs, and were especially impressed with a large one that was crammed up against the land as they “turned left” near where they are anchored tonight. It was at least 30 feet tall, and I think that it is the closest that they have been to an iceberg so far. Skip and Pat have taken lots of really great photos that they look forward to sharing with us when they can.

Mom reports that the mosquitos in Labrador are “major” and that Shane has given quite a bit of blood and is covered in bites. He is sleeping in the rearmost area of the boat near the doors and windows and is trying to expose only his nostrils as he sleeps buried under his covers. As the air temperature continues to drop, they are beginning to use the heater for the interior of the boat, and some condensation is beginning to form on their windows.

I asked if they have made any decisions regarding their route. They have not decided whether they will be turning west into the Hudson Strait, or whether they will continue up the coastline of Baffin Island. They are inclined to stay near the shore rather than to cross over to the coast of Greenland, as they have liked being able to pull into harbors to ride out storms or make repairs, and they think that ice conditions will allow this.

Mom again said how much they have appreciated all of your prayers. When things have gone wrong, they have always been near a place where they can get help. Thank you!

I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go — Genesis 28:15